Sunday, April 8, 2018

5 things I've learned about Sacramento

Honestly, this week has been family time, and I've been to Sacramento a couple of times before and done my sightseeing. So this time I don't have any history or museum stories to share, nor any entertaining exploits painting the town red. But I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for interesting things to share...

Mural showing Sacramento's highlights (click to enlarge)

Sacramento is the City of Trees. This one was obvious as soon as I arrived. Of course, it's a big city so I'm sure that not every neighbourhood looks the same, but I'm staying in a very nice one and its tree-lined streets are lovely.

The tree-lined streets are lovely.

Sacramento is the spiritual home of tribbles. I was puzzled when I found a tribble in the park, until I learned that Sacramento is the home of three different Star Trek bands (No Kill I, Warp 11 and No Kill I: The Next Generation). No wonder tribbles roam free in the parks...

Living among squirrels is no tribble at all

'Undulations' is not just a fancy word for speed bumps. Sacramento has speed humps, speed lumps, speed tables, and yes, undulations.

Hmm.

Central Public Radio has an article and awesome infographic explaining the difference between the different traffic calming devices.

The suburbs are great for dogspotting. I've seen soo many dogs out for walks -- a Boston terrier, a husky, a German shepherd, three basset hounds, a Cavalier, many small fluffies. A Frenchie out training with its human. A Golden sticking its head out of the the window of the car in front. A Weimaraner and its hound friend waiting outside the farmers' market because 'NO DOGS ALLOWED'.

Even Bullseye the Target dog

Sacramento is not just the state capital of California -- it's an agricultural region too. I haven't eaten out a lot, so I couldn't tell you how many of the restaurants are supplied with local food, but I have been to two of their many farmers' markets and seen the vegetables, fruit and bread.

America's Farm-to-Fork Capital

4 comments:

  1. Is this entirely inappropriate or do those undulation signs look like something else...? If you don't see it then I'll just take that as my mind is too polluted for my own good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the graphic design of that farm to fork flag.

    ReplyDelete

Have you a had a similar or very different experience? I'd love to know!