Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Something that made me stop and reflect today actually has nothing to do with America. On my way down to NYC this morning, I passed the scene of an accident with a fatality. It really bothered me. I’m off to have fun and experience the world today, but today, someone else lost their life. I really hate road tolls and road kill; it is one of the most pointless, avoidable ways to die. I thought about this carefully before getting my driver’s licence (for the record, I haven’t got it yet, although I have had some lessons at the wheel); whether I was willing to take the risk that I could kill someone, even if it was “just” a bird. I know roads and automobiles have given civilisation a greatly improved way of life, but sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it.



I’m sure you will be pleased to know that for the true American experience I am trying to experience as many American foods as possible, particularly the brand names I’ve heard so many times but never experienced. So far I have done pretzel and hot dog from a food truck, Snapple, purple cow, Dunkin’ Donuts and pastrami sandwich, but today I purchased Peeps, Twizzlers and Butterfinger, and there is still a lot on my list, such as Twinkies and Kool-Aid. I’ll keep you updated.

Highlights of New York City for me so far have been: The Shake Shack, because I love diners, the High Line, because I love peace in the middle of a busy city, buskers on the subway, because they really do bring entertainment to the subway, and Katz’s Delicatessen, because it’s a place with lots of character.

Something I will need to contemplate further is how differently personal safety is considered here compared to what I have experienced in Australia. My brother and I were trying to think of ways to get home at night so we didn’t have to be tucked in by 9:30 every night and miss half the big city experience. We suggested walking home from the bus stop in suburban New Jersey, but my cousin vetoed the idea. I wouldn’t walk home after dark, he said. Not even in the suburbs? I asked. No, he said. Although, he admitted, you are speaking to a guy who’s been mugged. A bit later, when we once again considered the idea and he ruled it out, my brother thought aloud, what kind of place is this?
A place where anyone can carry a gun, my cousin responded.

It strikes me as interesting. Back where I’m from people don’t really consider suburbs like the one we’re staying in dangerous to walk in at night, especially for men. My brother and I bowed to my cousin’s superior experience of the place and went home early, but there is a part of me which thinks I would do it anyway – not every day if I lived here, but once or twice now because this is one of the few chances I get to explore NYC. However, I think this is my invincible-young-person attitude talking, which isn’t necessarily the voice I should be listening to.

2 comments:

  1. That's actually very interesting. Never once did I remember actually fearing that I'll be mugged at gunpoint by a random on the street while in US. Being mugged, yes, but I fear that even in Sydney.

    Why do I feel as though you've tried more American foods than me already on your *calculates* ...3rd/4th day?

    ~Winnister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't known if the gun laws made much of a difference, but my cousin certainly seems to think so. I don't know if it's more of the idea (that 'anyone can carry/could be carrying a gun') or the actual impact.
      The day after I posted this I heard of the shootings in Colorado, but again, I don't have enough info to know if the gun laws make the difference.

      Maybe that's why you call me the Omnomnomivore?

      Delete

Have you a had a similar or very different experience? I'd love to know!